For Faculty

It's on all Harvard community members, including faculty, students, staff, visitors, vendor/contractors and volunteers, to create a safe & supportive environment for youth and to report any suspicion of abuse or neglect or inappropriate activity involving minors.  Here, you can:

  • Learn more about the basics of the Policy, including requirements for programs that meet certain criteria
  • Learn who to contact in your school or unit for help with Programs.  Tub Sponsoring Offices can help register programs, as well as review your programs to determine Policy compliance needs and determine whether practical alternatives can be utilized to minimize Policy administration.
  • If you will work directly with Minors as a Responsible Adult (as defined by the Policy - see below), download the Responsible Adult checklist to better understand what you need to do to be prepared; this includes completion of a short web training course  
  • For minors participating in laboratory activities during a Harvard program, learn about the University's efforts and what you can do to promote safety for minors in labs

Below are some forms that a Program Administrator or Tub Sponsoring Office may ask you to complete before conducting research or other work with a Minor, or inviting Minors into laboratory settings.

From the Policy:

Responsible  Adult
 – An individual, age 18 and older[1], paid or unpaid, who participates in:

  • A Program where the individual may have one-on-one contact with a Minor, or contact with a group of Minors without another adult present, in a non-public setting; or
  • A Program that has a residential component and the individual has access to the residence(s); or
  • A Program that involves physical contact and / or disrobing; or
  • Any Athletics Program.

[1] College students under 18 years of age can be Responsible Adults.

Environmental Health and Safety Review Checklist (minors in labs)

A helpful checklist for Program Administrators and Principal Investigators seeking to conduct work or research in labs or other instructional facilities with minors.

Application for Student Minors to Enter Harvard University Laboratories

Program Administrator or Principal Investigator seeking to conduct work or research in labs or other instructional facilities with minors should fill out this form and return it to Environmental Health & Safety at